God has commissioned us (Matthew 28:18-20) to go into every part of our world with His good news (Mark 16:15; Acts 1:8). His love compels us (2 Corinthians 5:14; Philippians 2:13) to share this incredible message of grace with others. We are now Christ’s ambassadors, knowing that God is making His appeal to the world through us (2 Corinthians 5:20). Also, we know that God has prepared in advance good works for us to do (Ephesians 2:10), and we know that our faith by itself, if not accompanied by action and good works is dead (James 2:17, 26). Therefore, we must be salt and light, allowing our good deeds to reflect the goodness of God wherever we go (Matthew 5:13-16). Motivated by a revelation of God’s love, we are being sent out to love our brothers and sisters (1 John 4:19-21). Thus, these “Senior Service Hours” provide an avenue to fulfill God’s commission, experience the love of Christ for His creation (Ephesians 3:16-21), along with offering a hands-on and intensive discipleship experience for every 12th grade student.
Areas of Ministry
- Community Service (e.g., hospital visitations, elderly home visitations, helping widows with their needs, working at the Salvation Army, or the Marie Sandvik Center feeding and clothing the homeless, etc.)
- Home Church Involvement (e.g., leading small groups, worship team ministry, evangelism, etc.)
- In-school Ministry (e.g., having lunch with PreK students, worship team, evangelism opportunities, teacher’s assistant, etc. Serving as a TA does apply toward these hours.)
- Outreaches and Mission Trips
- LCA seniors must complete 25 hours of service/outreach per school year.
- LCA seniors must complete and submit the Senior Service Hours Log to Mr. Stontz by the published due date; please refer to the school year calendar for specific due dates.
- Senior Service Hours Log forms are available below or from Mr. Stontz.
- These Senior Service Hours are a graduation requirement.
- Ministry you performed over the summer before your senior year can be counted toward your Senior Service Hours.
- However, unacceptable service hours are any that are not pure ministry (e.g., weekly chores, family business, serving your family at home, etc.).
- LCA seniors cannot use hours that were compensated monetarily or academically.
- LCA reserves the option to carry out the following:
- Find mandatory service hours for students not fulfilling required hours.
- LCA seniors who do not fulfill this graduation requirement will not receive their diploma and their transcript will not be final until the requirement is completed.
- Students not finished with their hours by LCA’s high school graduation may be assigned summer hours.